Remember my blog post about 4 easy ways to achieve a positive mindset?
If you haven’t read it yet, I’d recommend spending 10 minutes going through it.
Embrace the power of positivity that you feel in your mind and heart while reading. Because today, we’re going to talk about some of the entertaining ways to brighten up your day.
Are you ready to boost happiness in daily life?
1. Feed yourself a healthy breakfast
Haven’t you heard?
Studies show that breakfast can improve our mood throughout the day as it provides our bodies with the energy we need to start our day on a positive and happy note.
I have a complicated relationship with breakfast. Sometimes I just don’t feel like eating in the morning. But now I try drinking a cup of chocolate milk (often with some bread) so that I won’t be too hungry nor too full. Maybe for some people, it’s not enough nutrients. But that’s how I start my day.
So, make sure to have a healthy breakfast to uplift your mood throughout the day, ok?
My tips: I love listening to music and watching movies that transport me back in time. They help me find my old self (my happy and full of inspiration self) and recall all the good feelings when I first listened to or watched them.
2. Watch a feel-good movie or show
You may ask what a feel-good movie is. Well, it depends on what can uplift your mood and make you forget a little about the real world.
For some people, it might be a romantic comedy. For the others, it might be a thriller movie, a horror film, or a game show, etc.
As long as it leaves you feeling better than you did before pressing the play button, it’s exactly what you need.
For me, I would take my mind off of things by turning on some old rom-com or Disney shows and be ready to get some laughs in!
Check my feel-good movies here:
- Confessions of a Shopaholic
- The Devil Wears Prada
- The Vow
- Mamma Mia!
- Camp Rock 1, 2 and 3
3. Turn on some music
It might sound cliché, but music is one of the best and easiest ways to put you in a better mood.
It doesn’t have to be the stereotype happy song with meaningful lyrics. You can go with whatever makes you happy and release the stress from your mind and body. It might be a beautiful piano piece, a classic rock song, acoustic music, or a song from your childhood.
Turn on your favorite songs and start dancing like there’s no tomorrow. Does it sound fun?
4. Notice every little victory
No matter how small it is, noticing and celebrating your win is a way to be grateful and joyful in everyday life. Small wins cannot change the world, but they can put a smile on your face and empower you to be more confident.
So next time you finish a workout, make a new friend or successfully stick with a good habit, allow yourself to pause for 30 seconds, feel it in your heart, and celebrate with a good dance (or in your unique way, of course).
5. Set daily reminders with positive affirmations
I love affirmations as they not only boost my mood but also increase reassurance and confidence. An easy way to practice daily affirmation is by setting daily reminders and let them pop up during the day (probably when you need them most).
They are like little gifts to me intending to make sure I have an amazing day. Here’s the list of the best daily positive affirmation apps you can try:
6. Clean your room
I don’t feel like cleaning my room every week. I do it when it’s the right time (I mean when I’m sad or bored).
It’s actually proven that a messy room is a symbol of a disorganized mental state. That’s why tidying your room is also a way to tidy up your mind and let positive emotions in.
Marie Kondo once stated that “The objective of cleaning is not just to clean, but to feel happiness living within that environment.”
7. Do a workout
When you exercise, your brain releases feel-good chemicals called endorphins, which are natural mood lifters.
I’m not the kind of person who exercises every single day. But after a random workout now and then, I always feel motivated and energized. Bonus, a short run or walk can also help reduce sadness, depression, and stress.
Fun workouts I love that you might find interesting:
- 10 mins fun routine to get your booty off the sofa with Pamela Reif
- Happy full-body fat burn HIIT that will make you feel better on a bad day with Emi Wong
- Dancer’s body pilates workout with Cassey Ho and Julianne Hough
8. Spend more time in the sunshine
Sometimes staying in the same environment for a long time can leave us feeling stuck and trapped. A perfect way is to take a day off and get out of your city or town for a short trip (or you can travel on the weekend). I just love the idea of me willing to take a break because I care for my mental health.
A short trip is a great way to relax without traveling too far away or spending too much money
9. Write down what is bothering you
I know! I know!
I’ve been mentioning it a lot lately but writing down your thoughts daily will indeed clear your mind and make you feel a lot better.
When you’re sad, write down what makes you feel this way and what you think can help improve your mood.
Being positive and happy doesn’t mean that we have to bury our negative thoughts. In fact, by understanding our negative emotions, we get to know ourselves better and shift them into something more powerful called “motivation”.
Here are some journal prompts for you to try:
- What are the negative thoughts and emotions I am feeling right now?
- Where do they come from, and how are they impacting my day?
- What can I make room for if I let them go?
- How can I reframe them into positive action?
10. Do something nice for someone else
Whether it’s helping a stranger cross the street, holding the elevator door for someone, or giving away books you no longer need for free, do it with your heart.
Simple acts of kindness can go a long way and will help increase your feelings of meaning and purpose. Be creative and think of some small things you can do that will make someone’s day more special.m
More ideas to instantly increase your happiness throughout the day:
11. Have meaningful conversations with family, friends, or colleagues
12. Spend more time with people who inspire you
13. Drink more water
14. Practice meditate and deep breathing
15. Get enough sleep every day
16. Write a love letter to your future self
18. Sign up for an online class and spend 30 minutes learning every day
19. Connect with an old friend
20. Buy a small gift for someone you love
21. Buy a meal for a person experiencing homelessness
22. Rearrange the furniture in your house (my mom loves doing this when she’s bored)
23. Play with kids
25. Hand out with friends and talk about everything happening in your life
26. Reduce your time on the phone
27. Play an instrument
28. Say “Yes” to new experiences
29. Put on an outfit you love
30. Light a candle and relax
I hope you enjoyed the list! Let me know your little secret to stay motivated and positive during the day in the comment below. I’d love to hear from you all!